I received this brownies recipe with walnuts several years ago from a very nice Canadian. Unlike the American recipe I know, she uses bitter chocolate and baking cocoa. This provides a very extensive chocolatey aroma. To ensure that the brownie dough does not become too dry when baking, just under two tablespoons of sour cream are added. The dough becomes crispy on the outside and remains juicy inside.
Although I am not a big fan of chocolate cakes, I wanted this pastry very often as a child. After hearing “no” from my mom several times in response to my request, I started to learn baking this recipe all by myself. Since the recipe is quite simple, it has always worked well. There is little you can do wrong.
Only two sticking points have to be observed: the liquid chocolate-butter mixture should not be added too hot to the foamy beaten egg, otherwise there will be chocolate scrambled eggs instead of cakes.
The second is the baking time, if it is chosen too long, the brownies become tough instead of juicy. Therefore, after 25 minutes at the latest, you should test with a wooden stick: simply pierce the dough and pull it out again. When the dough is no longer glued to the wood, the chocolate cakes are baked.
brownies recipe with walnuts
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 40 g cocoa powder unsweetened
- 125 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 250 g sugar
- 60 g flour all purpose
- 60 g sour cream
- 90 g chopped walnuts and a few extra for decoration
- ¼ Tl salt
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- It is best to measure and prepare all ingredients. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Melt the chocolate together with the butter in a water bath or in the microwave. Then let it cool down to below 60°C.
- Meanwhile, stir the egg with the sugar until frothy.
- Chop 90g of the walnuts and set the rest aside as decoration.
- Stir the chocolate and butter mixture into the frothy egg and add salt.
- Halve the vanilla pod lengthways along the flat side and remove the vanilla pulp from the vanilla bean with a knife and add to the dough in the mixing bowl. The remains of the vanilla bean can still be used to flavor sugar.
- Sift flour and the unsweetened cocoa powder and add to the batter. Start stirring in slowly so that it doesn't get too dusty.
- Finally stir in the sour cream and the chopped walnuts.
- On a baking sheet with baking paper, the dough is now distributed over an area approximately 20 × 20 cm. The dough should be smoothed out about 2.5 cm high.
- Now decorate with the remaining walnuts and bake for 25-30 minutes at 170 ° C top and bottom heat in the lower third of the oven.
- At the end, the chopped walnuts are placed in the brownie dough, after baking, the brownies are cut into pieces with walnuts and placed on a cooling rack. Choose the size of the pieces according to your preference, since the chocolate brownies are very heavy, it is better not to cut them too large 😉