Zucchini cream soup with basil is a light soup, perfect for hot summer days. The large amount of basil provides a fresh spicy aroma. To round off the taste, add some cream at the end, which can be easily replaced with sour cream, creme fraîche or yogurt, depending on your personal preference.
If you like it a little more spicy and stronger, you can replace the water with vegetable stock or add brew cubes.
A perfect side dish for the zucchini cream soup is white bread rubbed with garlic and toasted.
Zucchini cream soup with basil
- 1 large zucchini about 850 g
- 4 medium potatoes about 420 g
- 1/2 pot fresh basil
- 1 l water
- 100 ml cream alternatives are yogurt or creme fraîche
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Wash, peel and dice potatoes and onions.
- Wash zucchini and cut into cubes.
- Fry the onions with the oil in a soup saucepan at a medium temperature until golden yellow.
- Add the zucchini and potato cubes and fry for a minute.
- Add half a teaspoon of salt.
- Fill with water, the vegetables should be barely covered, and simmer for 20 minutes when the pot lid is closed and low heat.
- Meanwhile, wash basil and pluck the leaves from the stems. Pepper and nutmeg.
- Once the soup is cooked, it is pureed with a hand blender.
- Then add basil leaves, pepper, nutmeg and cream to the soup and go through again briefly with the puree stick.
- Taste and arrange on soup plates or in soup bowls.
- As a side dish for the zucchini cream soup with basil, roasted white bread or garlic baguette fits very well. A few drops of cream and basil leaves can be used for decoration.The soup is also well placed in the fridge to take to work the next day.